Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Incorrect form 1095-B (conflicting info with form 1095-A) - should i file an extension?

I received an incorrect 1095-B from my spouse's employer, stating (incorrectly) that I was covered by an employer-sponsor insurance in January and February 2023 (my spouse retired at the end of July 2022). We contacted the employer's HR person, who apparently mistakenly kept us both on their plan for several months, without us knowing about it. He said he would try to fix the situation with the insurance. We're not sure he will do it or will succeed. It could be a problem as I signed up for a health market insurance (Obamacare) starting in Feb. 2023.  Therefore I received a 1095-A for Feb. 2023 and the following months of 2023. And one is not allowed to sign up for obamacare (and to get subsidies) if one can be covered by an employer-sponsor plan. Should I file for an extension, waiting to receive a corrected Form 1095-B (that i might never receive)? Or should I file now and wait? Or should I file now and include a notice to the IRS explaining that there was a mistake in the Form 1095-B that I received (I have to file by mail anyway)? I am afraid that the conflicting information between 1095-A and 1095-B (for the month of Feb. 2023) would trigger an audit. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Incorrect form 1095-B (conflicting info with form 1095-A) - should i file an extension?

The conflicting coverage may trigger a letter from the service down the road.  If you file now and respond to that letter with the corrected 1095-B you should be fine.  Alternatively, filing an extension (along with paying any tax due) will also solve the problem and avoid dealing with that letter later.

@Delal 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

You don't need the 1095-B.   Just enter your 1095-A.   TurboTax will use Form 8962 to reconcile your premium tax credit.   All you need is your total income, family size and zip code as of 12/31/23 - which TurboTax has as part of your tax return.   No other information is needed for your federal return.  

How to enter 1095-A

Thanks. I do understand that I do not need to report any info from Form 1095-B to the IRS. 
My concern is that the IRS already has my Forms 1095-B and 1095-A and that one is not allowed to have marketplace (obamacare) health insurance (and the related subsidies) while still being covered by an employer-sponsor plan. 

My current incorrect Form 1095-B indicates that I was covered by an employer-sponsor plan while I was also covered by obamacare (as was correctly reported on Form 1095-A).

I'm concerned that this conflicting info might trigger an audit. 

That's why I'm asking if i should file an extension, to wait to receive a correct Form 1095-B, in case the IRS systematically checks for any conflicting info between Form 1095-B and Form 1095-A. Any advice about this? Thanks in advance

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

The conflicting coverage may trigger a letter from the service down the road.  If you file now and respond to that letter with the corrected 1095-B you should be fine.  Alternatively, filing an extension (along with paying any tax due) will also solve the problem and avoid dealing with that letter later.

@Delal 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies