Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In Turbotax Business (desktop) how do I upload a .csv file for crypto transactions?

In Turbotax Business (desktop) how do I upload a .csv file for crypto transactions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
CassLO
Intuit Alumni

For instructions on how to import .csv files, please follow the instructions in the TurboTax FAQ below:

How do I upload a CSV file of my crypto transactions?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sorry, but that does not apply to Turbo Tax Business windows edition.  As far as I can tell, this edition has no way of uploading any kind of financial transactions.  Seems like it is a bit behind the times.  TurboTax Please move this to an online version. 

MY SOLUTION:

What I am doing is I have a crypto service  (koinly)  generate the Sched D and form 8949 for me (that is all it generates). 

• then in TurboTax Business, I create a new Capital Gain for no financial institution. This allows me to enter transactions for Part I  Box C  and Box F on Sched D.  I need to use Box C and F because I got no 1099.  This is required since crypto exchanges and metamask won't send you a 1099.
  • I then enter two transactions one for short term and the other for long term transactions (make sure for short term your date range is less than 1 year, and long term more than 1 year) using the total proceeds and basis from the Sched D form that I got from the crypto service for the short term Box C and long term Box F.  
  • Now I print my Turbo Tax Business return and simply add the pages for form 8949 from the crypto service that I used to generate my crypto profit/loss and I am done. 

Note: this is just what I did. Let me know if there is a better way.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You are correct the business will not allow it to import. 

I am glad to hear you found a way to get this completed. I read over your way, and it does look like a great solution. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

To add to this discussion, Turbo Tax BUSINESS DEV TEAM needs to get off their lazy butts and create a CSV import module.  Get out of the breakroom, stop playing video games on company time and do your job!

And, not just an ONLINE version either, as we ONLY BUY the CD/DVD version each year.

It is MADDENING that we pay MORE for TT BUSINESS and GET LESS.  All because we have a trust account and years ago, TurboTax split that off into the Business product.  So, this situation is already grossly unfair.  Pure greed on Intuit's part, but the fact that TT Deluxe has a CSV import module, and TurboTax Business DOES NOT AND NEVER HAS SUPPORTED CSV FILE IMPORTING is simply unacceptable now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies