Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In TurboTax 2017, I've entered 1099-MISC amounts, but after completing those the Income Summary for "Income from 1099-MISC" shows a total of zero ($0). A software bug?

I am using TurboTax 2017 Deluxe.  I have entered amounts from three different 1099-MISC forms.  However, after completing those in TurboTax, the Income Summary page shows a total of zero ($0) for the "Income from 1099-MISC" item.  

That doesn't make sense to me.  Is this an error in the TurboTax software?  

The amount I owed in taxes increased while I was entering the 1099-MISC forms, but the value on the 1099-MISC row did not change on the Income Summary page.

Anyone know what is going on?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In TurboTax 2017, I've entered 1099-MISC amounts, but after completing those the Income Summary for "Income from 1099-MISC" shows a total of zero ($0). A software bug?

When you enter Form 1099-MISC under the Personal income section of TurboTax, the program will often move it to other more appropriate sections of the program.  Most commonly if it is self-employment income (i.e independent contractor), the value on the screen will get moved from Personal to a Business section.  For the Deluxe, program it would get moved further down the screen under Business Items (Business Income and Expenses - Schedule C).  So, all of the income numbers are still there in your return, it's just the on-screen value or display that gets moved.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

When you enter Form 1099-MISC under the Personal income section of TurboTax, the program will often move it to other more appropriate sections of the program.  Most commonly if it is self-employment income (i.e independent contractor), the value on the screen will get moved from Personal to a Business section.  For the Deluxe, program it would get moved further down the screen under Business Items (Business Income and Expenses - Schedule C).  So, all of the income numbers are still there in your return, it's just the on-screen value or display that gets moved.

Thank you @TurboTaxAnthony.  Once I had continued completing the Income items, I did notice that the amount shown under "Business Items" was correct.  So, you nailed it!  Thanks for your help.  It is a bit confusing though when that section does not show until you've completed about 5 other sections after the 1099-MISC section.  Your answer was exactly correct, though, and I appreciate your time responding.  Many Thanks.
annehsu

I had this issue too, and it freaked me out.

This is so frustrating. I have 1099-MISC income from self employment every year. On the screen "Your 2018 Income Summary", TurboTax shows $0 for 2018 (which is correct since it is business income and is captured under business), but for 2017 it shows my 1099-MISC income that was reported on Schedule C! However, I've verified that the income was NOT double-counted in 2017, so the year to year comparison is totally invalid and double-counts the 1099-MISC income. My Schedule C income is correct for 2017, I've verified that all amounts on the 1040 and worksheets are correct (the income was not double counted that year). Then if I go to forms mode in 2018 and look at the two year comparison, the 1099-MISC income isn't double counted, so it's just the income summary screen that is wrong for the prior year.

I still have TurboTax 2017 installed on my PC and I just went back and saw that the exact same thing happened with Turbotax 2017 (double counting 1099-MISC income for 2016 in the personal income summary).
cptndave

Still broken in TurboTax 2020. My 2019 entries for last year show in two places, but 1099-MISC for 2020 shows zero, but if you click the Update button you can see the actual amounts.  Not exactly confidence inspiring. 

pkm1801

Staking income from Crypto was issued as 1099-MISC. After entering that income in Turbotax 2022 , it automatically moves to business section. Though not double counting, it is not represented well as business. The IRS form needs to know the business code, etc.- which is an additional complication.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Is the staking income issued on an IRS form 1099-MISC being reported as a self-employment activity?

If so, follow the steps below to report the IRS Form 1099-MISC as other income.

• Select Federal from the left side menu.
  • Click on Wages & Income.
  • Scroll down to Other Common Income.  Click Show more.
  • Click Start / Revisit to the right of 1099-MISC.
  • Enter a description under Describe the reason.
  • Select 'None of these apply' at the screen Does one of these uncommon situations apply?
  • Select 'No' at the screen Did the income involve work.
  • Select 'No' at the screen Did the income involve an intent to earn money?

The entry will be reported:

• on line 8z of Schedule 1 of the Federal 1040 tax return, and 
  • on line 8 of the Federal 1040 tax return.

View the entries at Tax Tools / Print Center / Print, save or preview this year's return / Include government and TurboTax worksheets.

@pkm1801 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies