Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In the Turbotax Desktop version, does efiling an extension and later efiling the same person's return count as 2 efilings Or as 1 against the 5 free efilings allowed for the product?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

In the Turbotax Desktop version, does efiling an extension and later efiling the same person's return count as 2 efilings Or as 1 against the 5 free efilings allowed for the product?

You e-filed the extension using the TurboTax online program.  Since you did not use the desktop program to e-file the extension it did not count as one of the five e-files.

I am using the Desktop version NOT online version. Does the efile of extension now using the Desktop version and later (after a month) efiling the return count as 2 efilings or 1?  Or are you indicating I cannot do efile of extension using the Desktop version?

@Spi36 wrote:

I am using the Desktop version NOT online version. Does the efile of extension now using the Desktop version and later (after a month) efiling the return count as 2 efilings or 1?  Or are you indicating I cannot do efile of extension using the Desktop version?

If you used the desktop edition to complete the extension request, that is a paper form that has to be printed and mailed to the IRS.  After completing the information for the extension there was a blue button Print extension

If you want to e-file the extension go to this TurboTax website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/

Thank you! Is there a charge to efile the extension at the link you provided?

@Spi36 wrote:

Thank you! Is there a charge to efile the extension at the link you provided?

No, there is no charge for e-filing the extension request.

Thanks for the clarification.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies