How to file my city of Detroit taxes?

I don't know if Turbotax file of city of Detroit taxes

How to file my city of Detroit taxes?

I think the answers to these two questions conflict "How to file my city of Detroit taxes?" and "how do I confirm my City of Detroit income tax return has been filed? I do not see a way to print a copy of the return."

How to file my city of Detroit taxes?

If you e File your State of Michigan, it includes the City of Detroit. Read the Filing Instruction for the State of Michigan and it tell you not to mail the Detroit, because you e Filed the State return.

How to file my city of Detroit taxes?

In the Michigan interview, there will be a page where you are asked to click on your city (Detroit) so that TurboTax can generate your city income tax return.  Be sure, that as part of your W-2 input process, that you included your local wages and local taxes withheld and that your city code from the W-2 was entered (DET).The Michigan city income tax returns are part of the Michigan income tax module (there is not a separate module for just the city tax).   Even if you e-file your federal and state returns, you will print out your City of Detroit return to mail in.

How to file my city of Detroit taxes?

According to the City of Detroit (and the State of Michigan), it is handled by the state and CAN be e-filed.  Source: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.detroitmi.gov/incometax">http://www.detroitmi.gov/incometax</a>

How to file my city of Detroit taxes?

This year turbotax would not allow me to e-file my michigan return because my employer has been pre-paying my city tax to Detroit. Even though they were letting me fill out the whole state and city forms - they didn't tell me until i went to submit.  No wonder they're not listed on the state's website as an e-file option - I've learned the hard way.

How to file my city of Detroit taxes?

I just completed my filing and it filled the appropriate Detroit city forms for me (I don't e-file my taxes, but you can if you wish).  The state return instructions also included the instructions for my city filing (I just have to write a separate check for the $2 that I owe).

How to file my city of Detroit taxes?

Under Federal Taxes in the W2 section you will add another row where box 20 is.

You will then add DET for Detroit and enter the number of the amount of money you made.

Next, you will go to State then go to the section where General Info is and update.

You will check the box that says I do not need a Michigan return take me to my city.

Enter the correct information in this area and you will be good to go.

How to file my city of Detroit taxes?

I would say don't. There is a city tax tab as describe by other posters. 

However, I just went through the processes and clearly, the formula is wrong and stated I got back my entire tax already paid (when really it was closer to half)

How to file my city of Detroit taxes?

Not letting me deduct days I do not work in the city?  I only spend about 10% of my time working in the city and should be able to deduct 90% of my city tax

How to file my city of Detroit taxes?

If you are an employee and your employer is located in the city, you will be charged city tax on that income. 

Is your situation different? If so, how?

How to file my city of Detroit taxes?

It was my impression that I had to mail it in when I owed money in 2018. When I filed Turbo Tax online in early 2020 (for 2019), I believe the e-filing process with the state took care of it. It appears, from the City of Detroit and State of Michigan linked tax website, that the state is now electronically processing all Detroit returns. It would be nice if a Turbo Tax / Intuit expert would comment on this to be sure we understood it.

How to file my city of Detroit taxes?

When you print your complete federal/state return at the end, the City of Detroit return prints, too. I saved mine as a PDF and it was all there.

How to file my city of Detroit taxes?

City of Detroit Individual Income Tax Returns instructions explains options to efile City of Detroit tax returns.

How to file my city of Detroit taxes?

Turbo Tax could improve its software (which I would rate 99 out of 100) by giving the user a message that reads, "Congrats, you filed your Detroit return electronically when you filed your state return," and putting a "this has been filed" message on the printed version.