turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In the attachments, form 8453-S is signed. When I view my tax return, it is not signed. How do I get the return to use the signed attachment?

I'm using TurboTax Business for S Corps

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In the attachments, form 8453-S is signed. When I view my tax return, it is not signed. How do I get the return to use the signed attachment?

"How do I get the return to use the signed attachment?"

TurboTax Business does not save the signed 8453-S attachment in its list of forms that you prepared. 

Rather, the program uses the file that you uploaded from your computer (the one where you printed the 8453-S, signed and then scanned the signed form and saved that file to a location on your computer). 

Again, TurboTax uses the correct form and, if you need a copy, you can simply print it out from the PDF file you generated and save it with the rest of your printed return.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

"How do I get the return to use the signed attachment?"

TurboTax Business does not save the signed 8453-S attachment in its list of forms that you prepared. 

Rather, the program uses the file that you uploaded from your computer (the one where you printed the 8453-S, signed and then scanned the signed form and saved that file to a location on your computer). 

Again, TurboTax uses the correct form and, if you need a copy, you can simply print it out from the PDF file you generated and save it with the rest of your printed return.

My return was submitted without my signature. What do I do now?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

TurboTax is an authorized return originator. They certify to the IRS that every return they submit is signed by the taxpayer. So, the IRS does not receive a signed copy of form 8453-S, the signed copy is retained by Turbotax as proof that you signed the form giving them authorization to file it. TurboTax is authorized to file the return after getting your signed approval.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How can I confirm the signed 8453-S is attached before I transmit.  It only shows the unsigned doc in my file of docs to be emailed.

@kent_mil1 wrote:

How can I confirm the signed 8453-S is attached before I transmit.  It only shows the unsigned doc in my file of docs to be emailed.

If you scanned the form you signed and uploaded that form to TurboTax Business, then that is the form (which is signed by you) that is attached to the return.

The 8453-S in the list of forms is just the unsigned, generic 8453-S, not the form you uploaded as an attachment.

Please resolve whether the signed 8453 is attached to the filed return or just kept at TT.  See the explanation from my responses which says the 8453 is not attached, but kept at TT.  which is correct??

Either way, TT should state in the program which is correct so we don't waste time trying, unsuccessfully, to verify it is attached.

@kent_mil1 wrote:

See the explanation from my responses which says the 8453 is not attached, but kept at TT.  which is correct?

The PDF can be, and should be, saved with your .tax2019 file. The signed form is transmitted along with your income tax return. I am not sure how much more detail you want or need.

What do I do now.  How do I get a signed 8453S to the IRS

If you used a PIN to sign your return with TurboTax, you don't have to file form 8453S.  You also don't need to file this form because TurboTax can file your return without it. According to the instructions on the form, an ERO can use either Form 8453-S or Form 8879-S to obtain authorization to file the corporation’s Form 1120-S.

Check to see if you signed a form 8879. TurboTax is an ERO and would not e-file a return without that authorization.

@michrfoster67

@ReneeM7122 TurboTax Business does not support Form 8879 and a document (of some kind) needs to be attached prior to e-filing (no attachment = the program will not allow e-filing). Presumably, users are following the instructions and completing and attaching a signed 8453-S.

@michrfoster67 What did you attach to your S corporation return? TurboTax Business will not allow you to e-file without an attachment.

I think I may have done something similar.  I signed and scanned 8453 form, but may have picked the wrong file to attach to T-Tax (attached the blank unsigned form). 

I know from the conversation here that I can't view what was transmitted.

So will T-Tax reject my efile if 8453 is missing the signature?  I would prefer it be done this way...  If not what action would I take.?

You would be notified immediately if TurboTax was not allowing e-filing. This is a system-read. Your return could get submitted, but then "kicked back"/rejected by the IRS, at which point you'd receive notification of this - rather quickly, too - sometimes even in minutes. Sometimes, with an issue like yours, it might take a little longer - but I would say no more than a day for a rejection notification, if you are to get one. 

I scanned the signed 8453-S into the computer. It is currently a thumbnail-IMG_1304.  How do I get it to thr tax return for filing.

@donnabean40 wrote:

I scanned the signed 8453-S into the computer. It is currently a thumbnail-IMG_1304.  How do I get it to thr tax return for filing.

You need to upload the file from your computer into the program. 

The file format needs to be .pdf, .jpg., bmp., .jpeg,, .gif., .tiff., or .png

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies