turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kpbang

In form 1040, What is to be written in the space provided for ITIN while you paper file and attach it with W-7?

Hi, I need to apply ITIN for my son.  My plan is to use Turbo Tax Deluxe Online Tool to prepare the returns but do a paper filing along with ITIN (W7) form. However I am confused how to declare him as dependent in the 1040 Form when he is NOT having the ITIN. Should I follow the technique of writing "Applied For " or "  999-88-9999" in the space meant for ITIN and later white-it-out before mailing the paper copy of the return ? Does this technique still hold good? Please clarify. Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

In form 1040, What is to be written in the space provided for ITIN while you paper file and attach it with W-7?

For TurboTax purposes, use the "mock" SSN.  An actual number must go there to pass diagnostics.  You will be filing the return as a Mail-In (Paper File), since the W-7 cannot be e-filed.  Once the return is printed out, you will white out your son's mock SSN and then write "Applied For" in it's place.

The W-7 form is not available within the programming, but you may access it through this link:  IRS.gov/FormW7.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

For TurboTax purposes, use the "mock" SSN.  An actual number must go there to pass diagnostics.  You will be filing the return as a Mail-In (Paper File), since the W-7 cannot be e-filed.  Once the return is printed out, you will white out your son's mock SSN and then write "Applied For" in it's place.

The W-7 form is not available within the programming, but you may access it through this link:  IRS.gov/FormW7.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies