turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jwlp
Returning Member

Importing Quicken produces duplicate Donation and 1099R forms in Turbotax

I have been a Quicken and TurboTax user for many years and in several of my most recent years of preparing taxes, that I can recall, I have seen numerous duplicate forms generated including W-2s, 1099 Rs ,  Donations and other entries, after Quicken data was imported. Rather than trying to get support to address this during the busy tax season, I deleted the duplicate forms and continued with my tax preparation, even though manual deletion of so many forms was a pain!

With the delay in filing taxes the year, I am just getting started in preparing my taxes, but I thought I would give some attention to address this duplicate form issue this year.

I thought that I would reach out and see if this issue has already been addressed for 2019. But, if there is no indication that this problem has been addressed, I would check carefully and save any files that you think are necessary to troubleshoot and get this issue resolved. (I am retired but have 45+ years experience in IT.)

The integration between Quicken and TurboTax has been a key reason that I have stuck with these products.

So, here are the questions that I would like to see addressed:

1. Is there any specific documentation that defines how TurboTax recommends that Quicken data be imported?

a. In previous years, I have done an import right after the TurboTax data was established from the prior year. Once and done!

b. But, perhaps this is not the best way and  this could be the cause of my duplications?

2. What is the criteria that TurboTax uses to match the Quicken imported data with the existing (W-2, 1099 R, Deduction and etc.) forms?

a. If I had this information I could review my Quicken data to make sure there was a match, avoiding the duplicates.

b. As it is right now, I am importing blindly.

3. As I stated earlier, if this issue is not resolved, I would be glad to capture data to provide to you to help reach a solution. It is surprising to me that this issue continues or am I missing something?

a. Please let me know because I will start the TurboTax importing soon.

Also, I spent a lot of time today looking for a way to create this new discussion topic. I finally got the answer from another different discussion topic. Perhaps you should consider moving the button to "Create a New Topic" to a more prominent place on the screen. 

Thanks in advance for your feedback, I look forward to soon reaching a resolution for this issue!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Imports create new forms for the import and do not remove old forms that carry over that must be manually removed.   That is one reason that I do  not like to import.   It is usually faster to just manually enter the data.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

a way around the duplication is not to transfer data from last year but that creates a serious issue if there is info that needs to be carried over.  Even your name won't transfer so literally you're starting from scratch.  Also, the import might not be accurate as compared to the actual tax forms issued.  say you get a dividend deposited into your brokerage a/c. you can import this from Quicken but Q won't know if it's qualified or not.  Nor will Q know if it has been reclassified as a non-taxable return of capital or capital gain dividend. In addition, dividends can be paid after year-end (Q will record as a dividend in the year received) but is taxable in the prior year.  Additional issues arise if you have security trades.       

jwlp
Returning Member

Is this the best that TurboTax can do?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies