turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bdpoole66

Importing investment data from Chase continues to fail. Error message is not helpful (check my internet connection and try again)

I've tried both the downloaded version and the cloud version of TurboTax.  Software says it is trying to create a secure connection then after a minute or so it fails and says to try again or input manually.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Importing investment data from Chase continues to fail. Error message is not helpful (check my internet connection and try again)

How many transactions are you trying to download?  If you are using wi-fi trying connecting with an ethernet cable.
bdpoole66

Not sure of the exact count - Chase issued several corrected 1099 - don't know if TT is trying to download all versions.  If so transactions could be approaching 500+.
bdpoole66

thanks - the issue may have been with knowing which JP Morgan Chase to import from - for me it was Chase Investments that worked - the instruction on JP Morgan Chase were confusing (to me) on which one I should have used.  
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I'm glad you were able to figure it out!
DDollar
Expert Alumni

I can't effectively troubleshoot a technical problem like your in this forum. But I can give you an alternative that is better than manually entering each transaction.  You can enter summary totals for each asset sale category.  It will require you to mail a copy of your Form 1099-B along with Form 8453 (which TurboTax will generate).  To do this in TurboTax Online,

Click on Search

• In the Search Window type 1099-B
  • Click on Jump to 1099-B
  • Click + Add an Account (if the account you were trying to download is showing, delete it first)
  • Answer Yes to "Did you get a 1099-B or a brokerage statement for these sales?"
  • Click on "I'll type it in myself"
  • Select your Bank or brokerage and click Continue
  • On the page with "Tell us about your ... 1099-B" click the button "I'll enter a summary for each sales category"
  • Enter your Investment Sale information and repeat to you have entered for each category.

After entering all your category summaries,  Look for "To finish reporting these sales, follow the mailing instructions" and click on the link for these instructions:

NSLR
Returning Member

This is really not feasible - why can't turbotax upload pdf files of the 1099- from the investments companies and process it? The desktop version has a lot of difficulty connecting to Bank of America, Chase Investments and others to download financial data!

I had the same problem and after weeks of frustration, I found the solution on another thread. The problem is that the TurboTax link has the wrong URL. The link should be to secure05c.chase.com I tried it and 5 minutes later I had the required code and was able to import all of my investment information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies