turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rob1264

Import tdameritrade 1099 problems

I can not import my 1099s from TDameritrade. Has anyone else had this problem?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, there are others who are also having this problem you describe.  We are trying to look into what the problem may be and will let you know as soon as it is figured out.

I can't help you with the download if it's not working properly, but I can give you an alternative that is better than manually entering each transaction.  You can enter summary totals for each asset sale category.  It will require you to mail a copy of your Form 1099-B along with Form 8453 (which TurboTax will generate).  To do this in TurboTax Online,

Click on Search

• In the Search Window type 1099-B
  • Click on Jump to 1099-B
  • Click + Add an Account (if the account you were trying to download is showing, delete it first)
  • Answer Yes to "Did you get a 1099-B or a brokerage statement for these sales?"
  • Click on "I'll type it in myself"
  • Select your Bank or brokerage and click Continue
  • On the page with "Tell us about your ... 1099-B" click the button "I'll enter a summary for each sales category"
  • Enter your Investment Sale information and repeat to you have entered for each category.

Form 1099-B, Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions is used to report the sale of stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and other securities to the IRS.

You can get multiple 1099-B forms where each one reports a single sale, or a consolidated 1099-B where the details of each sale is broken out by line item.

I am having issues importing 1099s from any brokerage account.  If I attempt to import the data from the brokerage site by entering my Login and Password for the brokerage site, TurboTax returns the following error message:

This import was unsuccessful.

Internal server error.

It offers to allow me manual entry, but that will require mailing forms to the IRS and I would prefer the automated import of data which worked very well last year. 

What is wrong with TurboTax?  It seems to be getting worse every year.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the below Help Article for assistance with importing your 1099. 

What if I can't import my 1099?

If you continue to have issues, please reach out to Customer Support. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I've had problems importing my prior year 1099's for TD Ameritrade and this is the second year I've been a year late.  TD Ameritrade assures me it's not them and that the data is still there to be imported.  They said that it must be some problem on TurboTax end that is the problem with importing.  I have so much data that I fear making too many errors in trying to enter it myself.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies