turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bj72

Im trying to file my 2020 return and it keeps pulling in inaccurate info from 2019 that we can't edit. We tried deleting and starting over but its still wont work

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Im trying to file my 2020 return and it keeps pulling in inaccurate info from 2019 that we can't edit. We tried deleting and starting over but its still wont work

Don't import the prior year tax return if that gives you garbage results.

( You should be able to use the EDIT buttons to make any corrections to your tax data).

@ bj72 

If there's something specific that you need to edit, we might be able to tell you how.  Or if there's a lot of completely wrong stuff and you don't want the 2019 info, you can start a blank return without any 2019 information transferred into it (see steps below).

Why is the 2019 information inaccurate?  If it's not the final 2019 info as filed, that makes me wonder if you might have started a 2019 return in more than one account last year.   At the Tax Home when you scroll down to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" and review the 2019 PDF in that account, is it not the correct 2019 return that you filed last year?   i.e., is that the account with your finished and correct 2019 return, or could you possibly have 2 accounts?   We can tell you how to look for other accounts.  

In any case, if the 2019 information is incorrect, and if you DO want to start off with a blank 2020 return without transferring any 2019 information into it, here's how to do that.   You have to "fool" TurboTax as described below.

• Open your 2020 return, if not already open.
  • Go to the left menu column and click on TAX TOOLS, then TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window choose the link "Transfer last year's return from your computer."  (You won't actually do that.  That is just to "fool" TurboTax.)
  • You will then get a popup asking if you agree to clear your return.   If you agree, click "Continue."
  • The next screen will be titled "Transfer Last Year's TurboTax Return" and asks for a file, but do not make any entry in the screen; do not choose a file.  Instead scroll way down and choose the blue button "Continue Without Transferring."
  • Then your return should start over without transferring 2019 data.  It might still have some personal info prepopulated, which can be edited if needed.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies