zacdamon

Im entering the right number for box 'd' control number, and it isn't letting me go to the next step

I'm entering my control number correctly, but turbotax says its wrong. What am i not doing right here?

SijiG

Thanks for using TurboTax

Control Number (Box D) is used by many payroll departments to uniquely identify a W-2 in their system. If your W-2 doesn't have one, it's no big deal – you can simply leave it blank.

If you get errors when attempting to e-file with an empty Box D, just enter any number in this
format: 5 digits, space, 5 digits (for example, 12345 67890).

The IRS doesn't care what's in Box D because its use by payroll departments is optional.

Now, if you're trying to import your W-2 and you're persistently being asked to enter something in Box D, click skip import to get past this screen and manually enter your W-2 (which should only take a few minutes anyway).

Related Thread: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2655867-box-d-matches-what-s-the-problem?jump_to=answer_4421994

Hope this helps

SijiG

Thanks for using TurboTax

Hope this helps
jeffstetson

I had a customer who tried to skip it and it did NOT work,