turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Im confused , your service doesnt have I am needing . I am self employed and income is tips only. What do I file under ?

To file a free tax return with self-employment income, you'll need the "IRS Free File Program Delivered by TurboTax" at this linkYou can't file a tax return with self-employment income using TurboTax Online Free Edition.  

So, before you do anything else, verify that you are using that IRS Free File and not the TurboTax Online Free Edition.  The IRS Free File Program will say turbotax IRS Fee File Program delivered by TurboTax in the upper left corner of the screen. 

Once you have verified you are using the correct turbotax IRS Fee File Program delivered by TurboTax software:

Click on Federal on the left menu barthen click Continue on the next screen "Let's get your biggest refund possible"; and then click "I'll choose what I work on" on the next screen "How do you want to enter your income?".

Now, you should be at the "Your 2019 Income Summary" screen.  Scroll down almost to the bottom and you'll see "Business Items".  On the line that says "Business Income and Expenses (Sch C)" click Start.  From there, just answer the questions as they relate to your income and expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sugarbear9876543
Returning Member

Im confused , your service doesnt have I am needing . I am self employed and income is tips only. What do I file under ?

IF I CANT FILE FOR FREE FOR FOR SELF EMPLOYED WHY DID YOU JUST  GO IN TO ALL THAT  ???????????????????? YES IM ON THE FREE FILE ON TURBO TAX  AND AFTER 3 HOURS IT TOLD ME I CAN'T , WHAT A POS SERVICE !

sugarbear9876543
Returning Member

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies