turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Claimed my son as dependent relative, but I didn’t get head of household status. Taxes just filed. What can I do?

I had to correct my taxes because the first submission was rejected.  I have a dependent relative who I supported for 2018.  I filled out all the information required for to check eligibility.  I submitted the corrected return again, but when I looked at my docs, I only got single file status and not head of household.  Do I do an amended return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Claimed my son as dependent relative, but I didn’t get head of household status. Taxes just filed. What can I do?

Did the son live with you in 2018?
KarenR
Expert Alumni

If your tax return has been rejected, and is still in the rejected status, do not file an amended return.
Please return to the My Info section (left navigation bar) and re-enter and/or add the dependent information.

If your tax return is accepted, you'll want to wait for your refund (or payment to clear) and then file an amended return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies