Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dogmom18

What can I do? I'd started my taxes On-Line for FREE, but then I purchased the CDs for Fed & State to finish... but its asking me to pay for it again! What can I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
BrandiA

What can I do? I'd started my taxes On-Line for FREE, but then I purchased the CDs for Fed & State to finish... but its asking me to pay for it again! What can I do?

Did you install the CD's you purchased or are you continuing to work on the return you started online for free?

You can switch to your Desktop program.
First download the .tax2018 file from the Online version,  
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300420">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300420</a>

Then see, How to Switch to Desktop,
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302260">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302260</a>

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had.  So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - New)

Then you just OPEN the .tax2018 file, go up to File-Open.  You don't import or transfer it.

What can I do? I'd started my taxes On-Line for FREE, but then I purchased the CDs for Fed &amp; State to finish... but its asking me to pay for it again! What can I do?

Oh, what's it asking you to pay for?  To efile state?  In the Desktop program it is currently 24.99 to efile EACH state return including the first one. Or you can print and mail state for free.  And be careful, if you have the state fee deducted from your refund there is an Extra 39.99 Refund Processing Service charge (44.99 in California).  So pay with a credit card.       

What you got for free was one state program download to prepare unlimited state returns.  Then if you have to file a return in a different state you have to buy another state program for 44.99.
BrandiA

What can I do? I'd started my taxes On-Line for FREE, but then I purchased the CDs for Fed &amp; State to finish... but its asking me to pay for it again! What can I do?

If you need to transfer your info from the free online version to the CD/Desktop version you purchased you can:

Transfer your online return into the desktop program if you prefer to finish your return using the desktop software or need to transfer for troubleshooting.  Follow the steps below -

1. Log into your TurboTax Online Account and select Take Me to My Return
  2. Click on Tax Tools from the menu on the left side of the screen and select Tools from the dropdown menu
  3. In the popup window Tools Center, click on Save your 2018 return to your Computer (try to save to an easy-to-find location such as My Documents or Desktop)
  4. This will download a .tax2018 file to your computer - make note of where that file is saved to on your computer
  5. Sign out of TurboTax Online and, if you haven’t already purchased the software via download or a CD, then click here to purchase the software.
  6. Install TurboTax 2018 CD/Download. Windows | Mac
  7. Important:  If your Online return already contains one or more states, you must install those states in your desktop program also; otherwise, you will receive errors when you attempt to open your return
  8. Once installed, choose File > Open Tax Return.
  9. Browse to where you saved the .tax2018 file in step 3, select it, and then click Open.
  10. Choose File > Save.
  11. (Optional) Once you are satisfied that your online returns transferred over properly, you can clear your Online return.  Note:  This will remove your data online, so I would recommend waiting until you have at least filed your return before clearing any online data, but the choice is yours. 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies