turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a farm with a loss in 2018. Should be choosing to depreciate, rather than expense, items in the $100-2500 range?

2018 is my first full year with a farm.  It has a loss.  I'm assuming for durable items (assets) >$2,500 I'll depreciate them and for durable items <$100 (e.g. tools) I'll expense them.  It is for things in between that it seems I need to make a decision.  Should I expense or depreciate?  Any guidance on how to make that decision would be appreciate.   I expect overall I'll have a NOL in 2018

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a farm with a loss in 2018. Should be choosing to depreciate, rather than expense, items in the $100-2500 range?

If you don't need the loss today (2018) then depreciate them so you can make better use of the write offs (depreciation) in future years. 

It actually will not be much (items under $2,500) but everything helps and it will also reduce the Self-employment tax income in future years.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you don't need the loss today (2018) then depreciate them so you can make better use of the write offs (depreciation) in future years. 

It actually will not be much (items under $2,500) but everything helps and it will also reduce the Self-employment tax income in future years.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies