turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

typal21

Tax Year Prior to 2020: How do I Add another W2?

I was able to enter two of my W2's by clicking ADD. However, I just my third and final W2 but the ADD button is no longer there.
Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies
Carrie3

I too had 3 W2's to enter, which were done at seperate times where I was required to log back in. Follow "Turbo Tax Will's" instructions and don't panic! I did and it was unnecessary. It's there if you didn't submit your returns. I'm proof!
ccopley02

i submitted my return
WillK
Intuit Alumni

To add an additional W-2, please follow the steps below:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account

2. Click Continue Your Return

3. Click Federal Taxes Heading

4. Click Wages and Income if it doesn't default to it

5. Under All Income, the top section will be Wages and Salaries, Click the show more

6. Click the revisit button

7. You will get to a screen that says 'Here's Your W-2 info, under the summary section you should see in blue 'Add Another W-2'

8. Enter in your W-2 information

***If your filed your tax returns already, you will not be able to go back to the original return to add another W-2, you will either need to wait to see if your return was rejected, if it was then you are able to go back in and edit your original return. If the original return was not rejected, but accepted then you will need to amend your return with Form1040-X.

The 1040-X for amending 2015 returns will not be available until mid-February.  You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.
Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them;  they are processed as two separate returns.  

Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return. ***

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
leybug

That option don't show

Did you already file your return or did you just "save and close"? If you filed your return, then you will need to file an amended return in order to properly add the third W2 to represent all of you taxable income.

I'm having this Sam problem. IV work for 3 diffrent companies this year so I have 3 tax returns to file but it only let me enter in the federal and state for one employer. How do I add the other to returns?
breinchan

I have the same problem. I Thought it would let me go back to enter a second w-2 but the option isnt there for me. I went too far and accidently filed but with only one of my w-2's. How can I correct this?

If you already filed the return, then you need to log into your TurboTax account and file an amended tax return to represent the other form of income from your second W-2.
Carrie3

If you already filed, you must file a 1040-x to amend your return.
Carrie3

If you have not filed yet the option to add W2's is there. I had 3 to enter. If you filed already you must file a 1040-x to amend this return.

I keep doing all the information they give me to do and it still doesn't work

Why isn't the option to start another W2 in that section to begin with? That's terrible design.

Well alright, so you do now get the option to add another one-- but only after you click well past the steps of filling out the first one, so it doesn't really inspire confidence that you're doing the right thing...
WillK
Intuit Alumni

If your filed your tax returns already, you will not be able to go back to the original return to add another W-2, you will either need to wait to see if your return was rejected, if it was then you are able to go back in and edit your original return. If the original return was not rejected, but accepted then you will need to amend your return with Form1040-X.

The 1040-X for amending 2015 returns will not be available until mid-February.  You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.
Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them;  they are processed as two separate returns.  

Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies