Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Vdali

If someone is incarcerated, can they still file their taxes.

I'm confused.

Federal prisons pay like 23 cents / hour for work but do not issue a W-2. Are prisoners required to pay taxes on that?

If not, do you just file a return saying they had zero income? (Since it's impossible to get an accounting from the Bureau of prisons).

How does a prisoner get the covid stimulus check? 

@Vdali wrote:

I'm confused.

Federal prisons pay like 23 cents / hour for work but do not issue a W-2. Are prisoners required to pay taxes on that?

If not, do you just file a return saying they had zero income? (Since it's impossible to get an accounting from the Bureau of prisons).

How does a prisoner get the covid stimulus check? 

AFAIK prisoners are not eligible for the stimulus payment.

Many prisoners do have to file a tax return due to other taxable income.  Just because a person is in prison does not mean that they do not own income producing assets.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I am not certain but I believe YOU can actually claim your son as a dependent if you put money on his books during his bid. 

Absolutely! Your son can claim his son as a dependent as long as you are not claiming him yourself. He was in jail not prison correct? If he were to be in prison that is not the same and whoever took care of him would only be able to claim him. But 100% your son can claim his son. If you wanted to claim your grandson yourself since he was in your care while your son was in jail you would have that right. You would have to show records indicating he was in jail for most of the time. If you are all in agreement of who is going to claim him then it is no problem. I just got out of jail and have gone through the same thing. I was able to claim my girls for 2018 no problem. 

lotsofcats2845
Returning Member

My son is 35.  He was in prison for all of 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019.  I provided an average of $200 per month for his canteen fund and medical expenses.  Can I claim him as a dependent?

@lotsofcats2845 wrote:

My son is 35.  He was in prison for all of 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019.  I provided an average of $200 per month for his canteen fund and medical expenses.  Can I claim him as a dependent?

No.  That is  not more the  half of his total support for the year - the state provided that.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jolee_63

So, to do the power of attorney I would need to print the form out and send it to the prison for my son to fill out, sign and get notarized?

My 24 yr old son has been incarcerated since 10/10/18. I'm his power of attorney, can I file for his stimulus check and have it sent to my house? Or can I just have direct deposited into my savings. Since the IRS wont put his DOC # on his check, the prison will send the check back to the IRS otherwise. Thanks in advance.

I was with the understanding that prisoners do quallify as the covid relief bill didnt discount them and a Judge upheld their rights to this aid since they too( have families and responcabilities and have been affected) and have been affected even if they arent home to care for children they still can use that relief for their fams just the same as the rest of us...

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Yes, incarcerated individuals may receive both stimulus payments if all eligibility requirements are met and the individual filed a 2019 tax return that was processed by the IRS. 

If you don't receive your stimulus payment by the time you file your tax return, you can make an adjustment on your 2020 tax return for stimulus payments you qualify for, but have not received. 

To do this in TurboTax, please follow these steps:

1. Enter the information in your return.
  2. Click Federal Review at the top of your screen. 
  3. On the screen, Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  4. You will be asked about the amounts of first round and second round stimulus payments you received
  5. TurboTax will then calculate the amount of stimulus payment remaining that you are still entitled to.  This will show as a credit on line 30 of the 1040.

For addition al information, please see the following articles on the IRS website:

@Breenman49

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies