Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lbb3james

If ratified contract sent to lender Dec 2016, but settles Feb/March 2017, will I be covered by the Mortgage Debt Relief Act or will I have to pay taxes on cancelled debt?

Home is personal residence; lived in for the past 11 years; approval from lender Jan 2017; cancelled debt is $115,895.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

If ratified contract sent to lender Dec 2016, but settles Feb/March 2017, will I be covered by the Mortgage Debt Relief Act or will I have to pay taxes on cancelled debt?

Under current law, the answer is yes because you entered into a contract in 2016.  

Extension of the Mortgage Debt Relief Act 
The Act initially covered a three-year period between 2007 and 2010, but was extended four times, to 2012, 2013, 2014 and then to 2016. This can also apply to debt that is discharged in 2017 provided that there was a written agreement entered into in 2016.  How to Avoid Taxes on Canceled Mortgage Debt
To record this if you receive a 1099C or 1099A use these steps in TurboTax Deluxe in 2017:
  • My Account > Topic Search > 1099c > Go
  • Continue to enter your information
  • Review the screenshots for clarity

If you enter this as a home sale, you should qualify for the home sale exclusion since you lived in the home more than two years.  Retain your records for at least three years after the return is filed and accepted.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5404105

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Under current law, the answer is yes because you entered into a contract in 2016.  

Extension of the Mortgage Debt Relief Act 
The Act initially covered a three-year period between 2007 and 2010, but was extended four times, to 2012, 2013, 2014 and then to 2016. This can also apply to debt that is discharged in 2017 provided that there was a written agreement entered into in 2016.  How to Avoid Taxes on Canceled Mortgage Debt
To record this if you receive a 1099C or 1099A use these steps in TurboTax Deluxe in 2017:
  • My Account > Topic Search > 1099c > Go
  • Continue to enter your information
  • Review the screenshots for clarity

If you enter this as a home sale, you should qualify for the home sale exclusion since you lived in the home more than two years.  Retain your records for at least three years after the return is filed and accepted.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5404105
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies