Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jhoanna31

If my refund was rejected by the IRS and I did not mail my return to them by the deadline, how can I finish filling my taxes? Can I still mail it out a month later?

I tried filling my taxes for the first time electronically and for some reason, my refund got rejected. Later, I realized I completely forgot to mail it by the deadline in April. I'm not fully sure how this works, and i don't see an option to try and file electronically again, so can I still try and mail it out past that deadline? I'm not too concerned with getting a refund anymore, I really just want to make sure my taxes for 2023 have been filled.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If my refund was rejected by the IRS and I did not mail my return to them by the deadline, how can I finish filling my taxes? Can I still mail it out a month later?

E-filing is open for 2023 returns until October 15, 2024, so you can either fix the return and try again to e-file or you can print and mail it in.   

If you are getting a refund or do not owe tax due, there is no penalty for missing the April 15 deadline.  You can still receive your refund.   If you owe tax due, you are subject to late filing penalties and interest owed on the amount due, for which the IRS will bill you later.

If you are filing by mail, you need to print, sign and date the return in ink, and mail it in.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Did your efile reject?  What is the exact reject code or message?  We can tell you how to fix it and you can efile again.  You can efile until Oct. 15.  You have 3 years to file if you are getting a refund.

j14152

I had the same thing happen two years ago.  It took more than a year to discover the problem, and another year for the IRS to accept my return. 

At the end of the TurboTax process, there's an opportunity to make copies.  Before those screens come up, I did not elect to file the return at that time.  By the time I saved copies and entered my drivers license, etc. on subsequent screens, I thought I had filed but never actually did file electronically. 

After properly transmitting the forms to the IRS at the very end, you should see a confirmation screen.  You will also get an email  stating that your return is being processed.  Without these confirmations, your return will not have been transmitted to the IRS.

j14152

This is a flaw in the TurboTax layout.  When it comes up at the end of the Step by Step process, you can select whether to file electronically now or later.  There is no warning on subsequent screens that the return has not been electronically filed.  I'm sure this has happened to others who may come back later to complete o0r review a return and file it.  There is no option in the dropdown menu structure either, that the return has not been electronically and providing the option to do so at that location.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies