Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wchen84

If my paycheck says federal withholding, does that mean I have already paid taxes to federal and I can say as such?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If my paycheck says federal withholding, does that mean I have already paid taxes to federal and I can say as such?

You did not "pay" taxes you had taxes withheld.  When you get your W-2 it will show the gross income and the federal/state taxes that were withheld and both go on your tax return.   If you paid in too much thru withholding you get a refund when you file the return.  If you did not have enough withheld then you will owe a balance due. 

Ia this your first job---first time to prepare a tax return?   At the end of January your employer is going to issue a W-2 to you that shows how much you earned and how much tax was withheld from your paychecks.   Your W-2 will show how much was withheld for federal tax and how much was withheld for the state's tax (if you live in a state that has a state income tax).   You will enter all of the information from each box of the W-2, and the software will calculate whether too much tax was withheld---if too much was withheld, you will get a refund.  If not enough tax was withheld, you will owe and need to pay.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-forms/what-is-a-w-2-form/L6VJbqWl5

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The federal withholding on your paycheck is a down payment towards your total tax for the year. When you file your tax return it will calculate the total tax that you have to pay for the year, and it will apply the "down payments" (the withholding) to the total.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies