Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my husband and I both attempted to file a return (married jointly), how can I cancel my return that was rejected? His was accepted and we will Amend.

I know, I know... we should've only filed one Married Jointly return. But we didn't realize that as it was our first time attempting to file. His was accepted/mine rejected. 

We are going to Amend his, is there a way to cancel my Return that is showing rejected on TurboTax? 

What are my options?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If my husband and I both attempted to file a return (married jointly), how can I cancel my return that was rejected? His was accepted and we will Amend.

No.  Just leave it and abandon it.  

You do not have to cancel your return.  It will not be filed or go anywhere.   You can simply abandon the account.   Since you will amend your spouse's return to file jointly, then going forward that is the account you will both use.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Okay, thanks. Just to clarify.. I don't need to do anything to the Rejected Return on my TurboTax account? The Amended return will basically take care of the issue?

Do not do anything to the rejected return.   Leave it alone.  It is not going any place.  The IRS will not get it--ever.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

His was accepted/mine rejected.

If your return was rejected, that means the IRS did not accept it. Therefore, there's nothing to "cancel".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies