turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yxc0600

If my boyfriend is the head of household and is going to claim us for 2019 and I'm starting a new job now How do I fill out my w-4?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

If my boyfriend is the head of household and is going to claim us for 2019 and I'm starting a new job now How do I fill out my w-4?

On your W-4 your would select Single or Married Filing Separately.   If you make more than $4,200 (for 2019 - the limit varies year to year), your boyfriend will not be able to claim you next year.  For more information on whether your boyfriend can claim you or not see IRS Publication 17 page 25.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Who is "us?"  Did you live with BF the whole year in 2019?  Did you have less than $4200 of income in 2019?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

There are specific requirements for HOH.  You do not qualify him for that, since you are not related to him.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies