Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bchs010

If im a single mom with 3 dependents i have not worked at all this year, can i file for just child tax credit to get a refund? If so how can i do that?

I have made no income within the year only received mfip monthly
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If im a single mom with 3 dependents i have not worked at all this year, can i file for just child tax credit to get a refund? If so how can i do that?

Sorry no.  You have to have income and a tax liability.  You have to have a tax due to reduce.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900923-child-tax-credit 

bchs010

I received income but its mfip

MFIP is state aid.  State aid is not reported on a federal tax return.  State aid is not earned income.  You must have some type of earned income, either from wages as an employee or earned income from self employment to be eligible for earned income credit and a tax liability to be offset by the child tax credit for a refund.
Hal_Al
Level 15

The money you hear about people getting for just filing a tax return, claiming kids, is dependent on you having some earned income (wages or self employment). Without earned income, you are not eligible for the "refundable" Earned Income Credit (EIC) or Additional Child Tax Credit.
In your situation, it is usually better if some other relative, in the household, claims the kids. Alternatively, the non-custodial parent could  claim them, as dependents, and the child tax credit, but not the earned income credit. Only a relative the child resides with can claim the EIC, based on the child.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies