turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I switch from Mac to windows, how do I open files from previous years?

Can I download my Mac files to One Drive and then download to windows—and then get the 2017 version of ttax for windows. When I open the new tax, will it populate from the former (2016) version?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The TurboTax tax data files can be opened by either a Mac or Windows TurboTax program for the same tax year as the data file.  The tax data file will have a file extension of .taxyyyy where yyyy is the tax year, eg .tax2016.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The TurboTax tax data files can be opened by either a Mac or Windows TurboTax program for the same tax year as the data file.  The tax data file will have a file extension of .taxyyyy where yyyy is the tax year, eg .tax2016.

"...and then get the 2017 version of ttax for windows. When I open the new tax, will it populate from the former (2016) version?..."

You must install the Windows version of the software for each tax year to open the .tax20xx file for that tax year.   2017 software can only open a .tax2017 data file.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Manage cookies