jentringer

If I switch from Mac to windows, how do I open files from previous years?

Can I download my Mac files to One Drive and then download to windows—and then get the 2017 version of ttax for windows. When I open the new tax, will it populate from the former (2016) version?

The TurboTax tax data files can be opened by either a Mac or Windows TurboTax program for the same tax year as the data file.  The tax data file will have a file extension of .taxyyyy where yyyy is the tax year, eg .tax2016.

macuser_22

"...and then get the 2017 version of ttax for windows. When I open the new tax, will it populate from the former (2016) version?..."

You must install the Windows version of the software for each tax year to open the .tax20xx file for that tax year.   2017 software can only open a .tax2017 data file.