Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I *owed* money in 2018 and e-filed/paid using TurboTax Deluxe, will IRS use that bank account info to deliver the Economic Impact Payments (I have not filed 2019 yet)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

If I *owed* money in 2018 and e-filed/paid using TurboTax Deluxe, will IRS use that bank account info to deliver the Economic Impact Payments (I have not filed 2019 yet)?

Here is what the IRS says:

"For people who have already filed their 2019 tax returns, the IRS will use this information to calculate the payment amount. For those who have not yet filed their return for 2019, the IRS will use information from their 2018 tax filing to calculate the payment. The economic impact payment will be deposited directly into the same banking account reflected on the return filed."

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

You can also register your account information at this TurboTax site: CORONAVIRUS TAX CENTER: 2020 STIMULUS

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks!

BigRob44
Returning Member

Hello Fellow (and soon to be former) Turbo Tax Customers-

Woke up to a nice surprise that I was able to find THANKFULLY when I did....

There is lots of misinformation out there, so DOUBLE check your info with the IRS.      IF you filed your taxes with Turbo Tax & an account from Green Dot was set-up as the account that would be the source of funds for your tax refund money, you NEED TO UPDATE YOUR DIRECT DEPOSIT INFO WITH THE IRS.

I would recommend you do this sooner than later.  The Green dot account, even though it has a routing & account number is NOT where your Economic Impact payment will be sent.

LOG ON tohttps://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment NOW!!! Get in the line to get your payment sooner than later and make sure to do it, otherwise you will grow old waiting for a paper check to arrive at your home. 

On a side note, this Green Dot Turbo tax debit card has been nothing but a full and complete headache.  THE WORST!! I would never do that again, as a matter of fact I am so angry at the process, I may not even file with Turbo Tax ever again.

First there are limits on your daily withdraw, which is par for the course, BUT... There are MONTHLY limits too!  So if your tax refund was larger than the monthly limit and your intention was to have access to that CASH, good luck.  You first have to find a CVS, go inside, WD your money in $400 increments, b/c those machines have a max amount per single WD.

THEN, plan out the calendar.

All while, Good luck speaking to ANY HUMAN at Green Dot who knows their A$$ from their elbow.  Good luck getting in touch with any human period.

What a joke.  A full out, joke.

Clearly the get your refund instantly is a ploy for Turbo Tax to have your money, do what they like to earn money on your money, and wait for you to spend it using their debit card, so they can earn.. MORE MONEY!

YOU STINK TURBO TAX!!!  You should refund every single penny of any fees you took from anyone this year.  

AWFUL!  

Stay well everyone. Stay healthy.

davlukabb
Returning Member

My wife and I filed Married Filing Jointly in 2018 and owed money, so there is no direct deposit info on file for us. When I try to log on to the IRS' "Get My Payment" portal, it tells me it is unable to determine eligibility at this time and provides no further info. What should I do???

I have the same problem/issue.

There is no information on this available, anywhere.

Same result ... unable to determine eligibility.  Will attempt to go thru the GetPaymentNow process.  Update back.

UPDATE ... from the IRS FAQ ... I interpret this as those that paid taxes will not get their stimulus electronically without action.

Says:

Your bank account information for your economic impact payment is usually captured from:

More specifics from the FAQ:

A24. No, the IRS will not send Payments to accounts used to make a payment to the IRS. After you properly verify your identity, the tool will allow you to submit your bank account information if your Payment has not been processed. Providing your bank information is the fastest way to receive your Payment. If we do not have bank information for you, your Payment will be mailed to the address we have on file for you.

Yeah, this doesn't work.

The non-filer portion doesn't apply, and I even tried to go through the steps anyway.

There is no option for those of us who pay taxes by check every year.

NONE

At All.

@modelcarsmag  @davlukabb @BigRob44 

there are press reports that there are issues with that website. here is one of the better articles 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2020/04/18/stimulus-check-payment-status-not-available/#31...

also, suggest reviewing the IRS FAQ below to be sure you are eligible in the first place (most people are) 

while not the best answer, i would just wait until the IRS centers open up after the COVID issue is gone..hopefully by then you have the payment. 

A1.  You may be eligible to receive a Payment if you:

• Are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien;
  • Cannot be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return;
  • Have a Social Security number (SSN) that is valid for employment (valid SSN); and
    • Exception: If either spouse is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces at any time during the taxable year, then only one spouse needs to have a valid SSN
  • Have adjusted gross income below an amount based on your filing status and the number of your qualifying children.

if you are eligible, then there would be a paper check sent (if no direct deposit on file).  checks are going out in "income order"

week of Apr 24 ... under $10k

week of May 1 .... under $20k

etc 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies