smithbl53

If I'm filing a 1310 for deceased aunt. Is there a way to enter my address as in care of on her 1040 form?

I am not a court appointed rep.  There was no will, no estate.  I'm not sure how the process works. If there's a refund is it issued to her and then I return it and it's re-issued to me?

MaryK1

Yes, you want to enter your address information as the representative.  The refund check will be in your name as representative for the estate.

MaryK1

smithbl53

I see where I enter my info on the 1310, do I enter my name and address on the 1040 when I'm asked "Where do you receive mail?"
MaryK1

Yes as the one filing for the decedent, you want to enter your mailing address
Sentinel

The question was never answered.  The question asked was "Is there a way to enter my address as in care of on her 1040 form?"  (Where & how?)

I too have this question under the same scenario.  Obviously form 1310 has space for name & address of the person filing form 1310.  But form 1040 does not have any place for a 2nd name to go, and no instructions in the software as to whether the non-court-appointed filing representative can/should replace JUST the decedent's address with theirs, or also include the filer's name.  If including name, where exactly does it go and does it need to be "in care of", and if so, again, where?

fanfare

Form 1310 will take this information.

You might ask IRS, good luck finding a person who knows that area.

Sentinel

There is no second line for address, this is part of the problem.  What kind of 1040 are you looking at ??

fanfare

"so where does the personal rep/filer's name go on the 1040 in the download Deluxe version"

Your name goes on the signature line of 1040,

and your name and address goes on Form 1310 if you are not court-appointed.

You'll have to file a paper return.

You don't need Form 1310 to claim the refund if you attach a copy of the court certificate to the tax return

showing you were appointed the personal representative.

For that you'd also have to file a paper return.

You don't need form 1310 if there is a surviving spouse filing a joint return and you let the spouse sign and file.

Because SSN often gets blocked, the spouse may also have to file a paper return.

--

If there is no refund, you do not need Form 1310.

Sentinel

All valid information with one major exception, but still confusing.

fanfare

The only place for name and address is Form 1310.

Clearly, the decedent's name goes on Form 1040.

I'm thinking no answer is going to satisfy you.

Sentinel

Thanks