Solved: If i lived with roomates can I claim head of household or should I do single..? My 16 year old brother lived with me and I took care of him so am claiming him.

user1128112811

If i lived with roomates can I claim head of household or should I do single..? My 16 year old brother lived with me and I took care of him so am claiming him.

And it switched me from single to head o house..  im not on the lease tho

MelaineC

It depends.  The only way to claim head of household is if you had a dependent.  To determine if you claim your brother please use the IRS interactive site at:   Who Can I Claim As A Dependent, make sure to scroll down to begin answering the questions.  They will not ask identifying questions, this is only to determine if you have a dependent which would change your filing status to Head Of Household.

MelaineC

user1128112811

Thank you...
MelaineC

You are so welcome.