If I claim my mother-in-law (who lives with me) wi...

andyb09

If I claim my mother-in-law (who lives with me) will that bar her from receiving the stimulus check? And can she still file her own taxes on the SS she receives?

My mother-in-law lives with us full time and we support her 100%. However, she does receive a sum for SS. If I can claim her and she still received the stimulus I would like to, but I won't if it will bar her from getting a stimulus check. Not sure if she just needs to file her own taxes and mark she is claimed as a dependant or if she has to file totally separate.
Bsch4477

If you CAN claim her she can’t get the stimulus. Even if you don’t claim her, she still can’t get it. 

andyb09

Thank you for the answer, but can you clarify why? That is, why would she not qualify for the stimulus even if she is not claimed as a dependant? Is it because she lacks income?  Thanks. 

ThomasM125

You aren't eligible for a stimulus check if someone can claim you as a dependent. If someone can claim you as a dependent, that person is the only one who can get a stimulus check for you, even if they don't claim you.

When you complete your tax return, you have to indicate if someone can claim you as a dependent. If so, you aren't eligible for a stimulus check.