srodbell

If I can run windows based or mac based turbotax on my Macbook Pro can anyone tell me a reason to choose one over the other?

It's hard to say.  I would definitely choose the Mac version over Windows 10, there are still some issues with Windows 10.  But some Mac users have reported problems with Sierra (although not me, turbotax works find for me).  Last year I had Win 7 on bootcamp and installed both the Mac and PC versions and they both worked fine, other than the hassle of switching to bootcamp.  If you are running an emulator that runs a PC inside a Mac window instead of rebooting into a full PC system, I would tend to worry that the emulation could cause issues and think that the native version will work better.  Both Mac and PC seem equally supported, and they are built off a common platform so all the screens are the same as far as I can tell. 

srodbell

I use Parallels on the Macbook Pro and it works great, but why add a layer of complexity if the Mac version is tantamount to the Windows version?  My caution was based the huge differences in functionality between Quicken for Mac vs Windows.  Mac version was not close in functionality to the Windows version.

True.  However, the functionality of Window and Mac Turbotax is identical.

There are a couple differences.  Like if you are using Home & Business version and need to prepare W2 or 1099Misc, the Mac only lets you use QEF Quick Employer Forms Online and not on your computer.  Mac tries to automatically update when you open Turbo Tax.  With Windows you can tell it not to check.  Might be some others too.

For 2016, the mac version no longer forces you to update when opening the program, you can skip for now like the PC version.
Jim202010

Is this still true as of 2019 TT ?

Are there other differences that people have found?

If they really are built from the same platform there shouldn't be differences...

With a complex return, this is concerning about switching from Windows to Mac creating a "surprise"...

For example, what if you created those W2 or 1099Misc filings on Windows and then opened the file on a Mac.  What would happen?  Would you get a "surprise" ?  Would it just fail?  Would it silently drop the info?

Jim202010

Do you think the observation about not being able to create W2 or 1099Misc filings is incorrect?