Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I am working under a federal work study at my college and am exempt from tax deductions, do I still have to file taxes for this job?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MichaelDC

If I am working under a federal work study at my college and am exempt from tax deductions, do I still have to file taxes for this job?

Yes. Many students are provided work-study jobs working at their college. Although this money you earn is intended to ease the financial burden of attending college, the income is fully taxable on your tax return just like any other employment earnings.

Earnings from a work-study position are subject to state and federal payroll taxes.

If you are currently enrolled in college full time, and currently work less than half time, you are exempt from Social Security and Medicare withholding, but not income taxes.

Your employer will give you a W-2 that will list all the required information.

There are no specific tax credits or deductions to take advantage of for work-study. However, if you’re using work-study to pay for tuition, that tuition is eligible for the American Opportunity or Lifetime Learning tax credit.

Tax credits can’t be claimed for tuition paid for by tax-free income like grants and scholarships, but tuition paid for by work-study is eligible.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies