Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ckncsc92

If I am an employee w/tax withheld in Jan and then switched to self-employed w/no tax withheld in Feb-Dec, should I get two W2's from that employer, one for each status?

I worked for a church last year. I was an employee with taxes withheld during January, but they switched me to self-employed (with no tax withheld) on Feb 1. I am thinking they should have given me two W2s - one for January when I was an employee, and one for the rest of the year when I was self-employed. Is this correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I am an employee w/tax withheld in Jan and then switched to self-employed w/no tax withheld in Feb-Dec, should I get two W2's from that employer, one for each status?

You should get a W-2 for when you were an employee and a 1099MISC for when self-employed. 

Unless you stayed an employee, and after Jan. you just had no taxes deducted, then they would issue one W-2 for the entire time. 

If social security was taken out of the pay in Jan, then you should get two W-2's.  Because the 2nd W-2 (with no Social Security Paid) you will  get a screen after the W-2 enter that should be checked "Religious Employment".

This screen is titled, "Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2?

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You should get a W-2 for when you were an employee and a 1099MISC for when self-employed. 

Unless you stayed an employee, and after Jan. you just had no taxes deducted, then they would issue one W-2 for the entire time. 

If social security was taken out of the pay in Jan, then you should get two W-2's.  Because the 2nd W-2 (with no Social Security Paid) you will  get a screen after the W-2 enter that should be checked "Religious Employment".

This screen is titled, "Do any of these uncommon situations apply to this W-2?

ckncsc92

Since I am a member of clergy, I'm supposed to get a W2 instead of a 1099MISC. I'm having trouble reconciling the one W2 I received from the church because it shows the small portion of tax withheld for January, but I still have to pay self-employment tax on the rest of the year's income. So the IRS would not know from the one W2 whether to classify me as an employee or self-employed. That's why I was wondering if I should just get two W2s - one for the employee income of January, and one for the rest of the year on which I need to pay self-employment tax. It's a bit different since it's for clergy income and not filed under a 1099MISC.

thanks for the clarification.  I added some more information to the bottom of the answer. Post another comment if this does not answer your question.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies