turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I still claim my son as a dependant even though he is 20 and will be filing his own taxes? Will claiming him lower his refund amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
maglib
Level 11

Can I still claim my son as a dependant even though he is 20 and will be filing his own taxes? Will claiming him lower his refund amount?

If another taxpayer is entitled to claim you as a dependent, you cannot take an exemption for yourself even if the other taxpayer doesn't actually claim you as a dependent.  So if under the IRS rules, he is your eligible dependent, he can not claim himself. He may still have to file a tax return, he just then must answer that someone else can claim me....

Do note the IRS will only allow 1 return e-filed for a dependent. If he has already filed and claimed himself, you can only file by mail and he will need to amend his return. If you both tried to claim him, they will audit the returns and normally decisions are with the parent, there are some students who can claim themselves such as military.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
maglib
Level 11

If another taxpayer is entitled to claim you as a dependent, you cannot take an exemption for yourself even if the other taxpayer doesn't actually claim you as a dependent.  So if under the IRS rules, he is your eligible dependent, he can not claim himself. He may still have to file a tax return, he just then must answer that someone else can claim me....

Do note the IRS will only allow 1 return e-filed for a dependent. If he has already filed and claimed himself, you can only file by mail and he will need to amend his return. If you both tried to claim him, they will audit the returns and normally decisions are with the parent, there are some students who can claim themselves such as military.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies