Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mellokid

If a college student lives away from home are they a dependent

I am a current college student, who has lived in an off campus apartment for two year (in august), do I put my parents address as my address or the apartment that i am currently living in. For the record I worked on campus all summer so I did not go home breaking summer break
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If a college student lives away from home are they a dependent

If you still consider yourself a dependent of your parents, you should use that address (your parents) as your mailing address. 

Living away from home to go to school can still count as time at home if the student intends to return home once school is finished.

There are other factors to consider as well, such as if your parent provide for your health coverage and other expenses.

Click on the links below for more detailed information about who should be claimed as a dependent and by whom.

Also, be aware that you would be considered a resident of the state where your parents live, so if you worked in a different state while at school, you may owe taxes to your resident state for that earned income.

CLICK HERE for TurboTax help on Rules for Claiming a Dependent on Your Tax Return

CLICK HERE for Tricky Dependent Situations

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies