Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I will be self employed in 2018. Do I report my estimated income tax, social security tax and Medicare taxe on one 1040-ES?

I will be self employed in 2018. Do I report my estimated income tax, social security and Medicare taxes on one 1040-ES?  I need to know to comply with the 2018 tax laws.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I will be self employed in 2018. Do I report my estimated income tax, social security tax and Medicare taxe on one 1040-ES?

Self-employment tax covers the Social Security and Medicare taxes for someone who is self-employed. But you don't report the various taxes separately on Form 1040-ES. You just report the total that you are paying, for income tax, self-employment tax, and anything else you might owe. It all gets combined into one total of estimated tax paid on your tax return at the end of the year.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Yes. But not one for the whole year. You pay quarterly taxes 4 times a year. If you pay by mail, then there's a 1040-ES for each quarter. Otherwise, if you do it the easy way and pay online at <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.irs.gov/directpay">http://www.irs.gov/directpay</a> you don't need to deal with the form. Just remember to print your receipt after you pay each quarter. Otherwise without that receipt, you can scream, holler and threaten all you want - if the IRS says you didn't pay and you can't prove it, then you didn't pay.

Remember state taxes as well.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Self-employment tax covers the Social Security and Medicare taxes for someone who is self-employed. But you don't report the various taxes separately on Form 1040-ES. You just report the total that you are paying, for income tax, self-employment tax, and anything else you might owe. It all gets combined into one total of estimated tax paid on your tax return at the end of the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies