Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was told that Wyoming residents qualified for a refund of the healthcare penalty for 2016 and 2017 but how do I find any information on this or how to file for this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I was told that Wyoming residents qualified for a refund of the healthcare penalty for 2016 and 2017 but how do I find any information on this or how to file for this?

I think you were told incorrectly.  Why would Wyoming residents be treated differently than anyone else?  Also, Wyoming has no state income tax, so I don't see any way for a deduction or credit to be given.

It's because the marketplace in Wyoming did not provide options for people to sign up for healthcare - there were basically two options only- so it supposedly is a return of the federal penalty, because we wouldn't have paid a state penalty just the federal one.

There is a hardship exception that might apply if there was only one insurance option available in your area, but that doesn't apply to Wyoming specifically.  It is not a refund of the penalty; but the penalty is waived under certain circumstances.  You would apply for the waiver when filling out your healthcare information in the federal interview.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies