Solved: I was on long term disability last year... i have a W-2 from Cigna showing wages in box 1, no taxes taken out and the code "J" in box 12. is this non taxable or do i have to include the wages?

mookie85

I was on long term disability last year... i have a W-2 from Cigna showing wages in box 1, no taxes taken out and the code "J" in box 12. is this non taxable or do i have to include the wages?

macuser_22

The IRS does not want a W-2 that does nothing and they do not even allow you to e-file a W-2 with nothing in box 1. 

But if there is anything in box 1 then it must be entered.

Rainman12

In Box 12, is there an amount listed after the code J?
mookie85

Yes there is.
Rainman12

Any wages shown in Box 1 Are taxable; Amounts in Box 12, code J are Not taxable, 'information only' ...
macuser_22

mookie85

Thank you everyone for your assistance!