Solved: I was on long term disability last year... i have a W-2 from Cigna showing wages in box 1, no taxes taken out and the code "J" in box 12. is this non taxable or do i have to include the wages?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mookie85

I was on long term disability last year... i have a W-2 from Cigna showing wages in box 1, no taxes taken out and the code "J" in box 12. is this non taxable or do i have to include the wages?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
macuser_22
Level 15

I was on long term disability last year... i have a W-2 from Cigna showing wages in box 1, no taxes taken out and the code "J" in box 12. is this non taxable or do i have to include the wages?

The IRS does not want a W-2 that does nothing and they do not even allow you to e-file a W-2 with nothing in box 1. 

But if there is anything in box 1 then it must be entered.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Rainman12
Level 9

In Box 12, is there an amount listed after the code J?
mookie85

Yes there is.
Rainman12
Level 9

Any wages shown in Box 1 Are taxable; Amounts in Box 12, code J are Not taxable, 'information only' ...
macuser_22
Level 15

The IRS does not want a W-2 that does nothing and they do not even allow you to e-file a W-2 with nothing in box 1. 

But if there is anything in box 1 then it must be entered.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

mookie85

Thank you everyone for your assistance!
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings