Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For gambling winnings what is the difference between box 1 and box 14 on the W-2G?

If I enter both amounts reflected, then it appears I won double the prize.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
TheresaP
Intuit Alumni

For gambling winnings what is the difference between box 1 and box 14 on the W-2G?

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-forms/video-guide-to-irs-form-w-2g-certain-gambling-win...

The form itself will have a number of boxes, but for purposes of preparing your tax return, boxes 1, 2 and 14 are the most important. Box 1 reports your taxable gambling winnings, box 2 reports the federal income taxes withheld and box 14 reports the amount of state income taxes withheld. You must report the amount in box 1, as well as your other gambling winnings not reported on a W-2G, on the "other income" line of your 1040.

Understood, but when I enter box 1 and box 14 it doubles the winnings, which is inaccurate. If I won $3,000 it should show $3,000 and not $6,000 based on the two entries being made as reported winnings and state winnings

Disregard. see another answer with the screenshots.

I was not able to duplicate this when entering $3,000 on box 1 and 14. 

Could you check your entries to ensure you don't have a duplicate W-2G? Also, there is another screen that says "Did you receive gambling or lottery winnings that weren't reported on W-2G?" Go through that section and make sure there are no entries. (see screenshots)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies