Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxwanderer1
Returning Member

I was in the US from 2017 - 2022 on an F1 Visa, and then I left the US when F1 Status ended. I returned on B2 visa and want to see what taxes I may owe.

I was in the US from 2017 - 2022 on an F1 Visa, and then I left the US when F1 Status ended. I returned on B2 visa in November of 2022 and left in April of 2023. I then came back in May of 2023 and left in June of 2023 on B2. I then came back in December of 2023 and left in Jan 2024 on B2. Then I came back in February of 2024 and left in March of 2024 on B2.

I don't have tax residency elsewhere as I travel full-time. My income is from a US based remote job where I'm a contractor. What taxes may I owe in the US for 2023 if I only came on B2 during holidays, but still have a US based remote job when I'm out of the country.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

I was in the US from 2017 - 2022 on an F1 Visa, and then I left the US when F1 Status ended. I returned on B2 visa and want to see what taxes I may owe.

How you file will depend on if you are considered a resident for US tax purposes or not.  If you are not, then you would need to file a 1040NR which could be done through Sprintax.com.

If you are a US resident for tax purposes, then all of your income from all sources worldwide would need to be included on your return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
taxwanderer1
Returning Member

I understand. I'm trying to see if I am considered a US Tax resident based on my travels and visa status

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

You will need to count your days of US presence that were not exempt (F-status) and determine if you meet the substantial presence test.  Here is a link to help you determine your status.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies