Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was claimed as a dependent on my parents taxes for 2019. However I got married in 2020, me and my spouse lived together all 2020 and provided for ourselves so we are filing joint for 2020. I saw som

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

I was claimed as a dependent on my parents taxes for 2019. However I got married in 2020, me and my spouse lived together all 2020 and provided for ourselves so we are filing joint for 2020. I saw som

This should not be a problem for 2020 and going forward.

For almost all married couples Married Filing Joint is the preferred status.  But don't worry TurboTax will guide you through the options.

The IRS offers these 5 tax filing statuses:

• Single
  • Married filing jointly
  • Married filing separately
  • Head of household
  • Qualifying widow(er)

You may qualify for more than one tax filing status. For example, a single (unmarried) person isn't necessarily restricted to the single filing status. He or she may be able to file as head of household or qualifying widow(er), assuming those qualifications are met. But if he or she wasn't legally married as of December 31, 2020, they couldn't file their 2020 return as a married person.

Likewise, someone who was legally married as of December 31, 2020 could file as married jointly, married separately, or head of household (again, if he or she meets the qualifications). But they couldn't file as single or qualifying widow(er).

If more than one filing status applies to your particular situation, we'll choose the one that gives you the biggest tax break.

ag18

I didn't receive the stimulus check because my parent claimed me as his dependent. On 2020 I became a Head of Household. On the question Recovery Credit, "Did you receive the stimulus check", I answered, NO, it is giving me $2900 credit that I know I don't qualify for.  I can not answer "YES" because I haven't received it. What options do I have? 

Even though your parent got a 2019 stimulus payment for you, you can also get that payment for yourself in 2020 if you are not a dependent in 2020.  So you are getting the correct amount of stimulus payment.  

ag18

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies