tagar

I want to know if I need to pay the Philly Wage Tax. I work from home and live outside of the city. I will be contracting (1099) with a company inside the city.

I've done my share of web searches and talking with people but I don't feel confident with the answers that I am getting.

Thanks for any help.

tagar

Thanks SweetieJean. I had read that a few times and the 2nd sentence makes it sound like I will have to pay the tax.

I'd welcome any thoughts from people in a similar situation or any extra comments.

Who pays the tax

The City Wage Tax is a tax on salaries, wages, commissions, and other compensation. The tax applies to payments that a person receives from an employer in return for work or services. All Philadelphia residents owe the City Wage Tax, regardless of where they work. Non-residents who work in Philadelphia must also pay the Wage Tax.
suzyquzy

If you live in Philly you pay the tax. If you work in Philly you pay the tax.
Tynabela

I am a caregiver my agency is in Philadelphia. I live and work outside of Philadelphia (have never lived or worked in Philadelphia 2 minutes) but Philadelphia income tax was taken out of my paycheck the past 3 years!?! I should be entitled to a refund right!?