turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want my refund to be sent as a paper check to a friend's in the US, but the option is to send it to my current address which is in France, and I don't want that.

I used to live in the US but I moved back to France. I want a friend to receive the paper check in the US, but the only option would be to change my address on "my info" page which would not be correct
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I want my refund to be sent as a paper check to a friend's in the US, but the option is to send it to my current address which is in France, and I don't want that.

If you are requesting your refund be issued to you via a paper check, the IRS will only send it to the address you entered on your tax return. In TurboTax, that address would be under the Personal Info tab in the "Mailing Address" section. Your refund, and any other correspondence concerning the 2019 tax return will be mailed to that address, and no other.

And...the IRS will not make a direct deposit to a foreign bank.  They will only mail a check to a foreign country.  So it is up to you to figure out how you will cash/deposit the refund check which will be mailed to you in France.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

What is not clear to us is whether you should even be using TurboTax.  If you are a non-resident alien then you should not be using TurboTax.

NON RESIDENT ALIEN 

If you are a non-resident alien, your return must be filed on Form 1040NR, which cannot be prepared using TurboTax.  You can use TT’s partner, sprintax:

https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies