• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjayboyd
Returning Member

I've been filing my Brother-in-Law's taxes with Turbotax for the last 10 years. He died in 2016. Am I required to file his taxes for 2016?

He died 10/31/2016. He had investments that were closed out earlier the same year, and had no house or vehicles.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cattlerancher

I've been filing my Brother-in-Law's taxes with Turbotax for the last 10 years. He died in 2016. Am I required to file his taxes for 2016?

If he owes income tax or has a refund due someone needs to file his last tax return, usually that would be his appointed executor or personal representative.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Cattlerancher

If he owes income tax or has a refund due someone needs to file his last tax return, usually that would be his appointed executor or personal representative.

mrsnjr
Level 1

There is a box that will be checked indicating that the taxpayer was deceased before the return was filed.  Don't forget that and best to have the executor with the Power of Attorney file.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v