lgarcia908

I tutor with Wyzant. They charge me 30% of every hour tutored in fees to use their service to work with students. Can I write off this fee as a business expense?

I tutor with Wyzant.  They don't send out W2's because we're considered independent contractors; we get a 1099 instead.  However, they take a significant portion of what tutors earn in fees (30% of every hour tutored).  Can I write these fees off as a business expense since I'm using their website as a service to find and work with students?

MaryK1

Yes, if the 1099 includes the fees they keep before payment, you can deduct as a business expense on your Schedule C.

mchla156

The 1099 does not show the fees they keep before payment. It only shows your earnings.

LenaH

If your 1099 shows a net number (the fees were already deducted and your 1099 shows the amount you actually pocketed), then the fees are not deductible on your Schedule C.

If your 1099 shows a gross number (the amount made before Wyzant deducts their fees), then you can deduct the fees as a business expense on your Schedule C. Their total fees and other applicable information should be on their website. 

@mchla156