Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm estimating my 2018 income taxes (1040) using turbotax and I don't understand the handling of capital gain tax in the new 2018 forms

I've entered some estimated stock transactions on Form 8949, which flows to Sch D.

From Sch D the net gain flows to the new Sch 1.

From Sch 1 it flows to the 1040 where it is added in to line 6.

At that point, deductions are applied and then tax is figured.

It would seem that my capital gains are being taxed at my full tax rate which is greater than the capital gains rate (because capital gains has been fully added to my income). 

What is going on? Shouldn't capital gains be taxed at a lower rate than income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm estimating my 2018 income taxes (1040) using turbotax and I don't understand the handling of capital gain tax in the new 2018 forms

The entire amount of the gain IS added to your other income as it always has in the past ... then the taxes are calculated using a worksheet and not the tax table ... nothing has changed in this regard with the new laws just the look of the form 1040 has changed.

Switch to the FORMS mode to review the Qualifying Dividends & Capital Gain Worksheet to see how those taxes are being calculated. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies

The entire amount of the gain IS added to your other income as it always has in the past ... then the taxes are calculated using a worksheet and not the tax table ... nothing has changed in this regard with the new laws just the look of the form 1040 has changed.

Switch to the FORMS mode to review the Qualifying Dividends & Capital Gain Worksheet to see how those taxes are being calculated. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

if your net capital gains were short -term, they would be taxed at the normal tax rates.  

Agreed.

I think my confusion is that I don't seem to be able to find the tax computation. I confirmed that if I add $1000 in LT cap gains my tax goes up appropriately so I believe it's being handled correctly. Just would be good to put eyes on the calculations behind the form 1040 line 11 compuation.

Switch to the FORMS mode to review the Qualifying Dividends & Capital Gain Worksheet.

It would be calculated on the Schedule D Tax Worksheet or the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Tax Worksheet.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies