Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

41grady

I am leaving a domestic violence home and I would like to change my address he threatened to burn my taxes how do I change my address? how do I know my taxes haven't already been mailed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am leaving a domestic violence home and I would like to change my address he threatened to burn my taxes how do I change my address? how do I know my taxes haven't already been mailed?

File the form 8822 to change your address with the IRS ... but all the other possible issues will required legal council ... ask your divorce attorney for assistance getting your personal effects and information.   https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Carl
Level 15

You need to clarify here. You say burn "my" taxes. Did you two file as Married Filing Separate? I don't think so, and suspect you filed a joint return. Also, for whatever was filed (joint? separate?) has it already been filed and accepted by the IRS? Was a state tax return (joint? separate?) filed too?

You filed a tax return with the address that he has access to the mail? Does the IRS website show that the refund check has already been mailed?

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.irs.gov/refunds">www.irs.gov/refunds</a>
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
41grady

Thank you for your help! Yes he threatened to burn the mail when it gets there. No it has not shown it head been mailed out, it only shows that i have been approved and that it still being processed. So that leaves  me with another question, it would tell me that it has been mailed out? Once I received an email stating that it would be mailed to the post office in 2 days. That was about a week ago. Oh and we are not married.

Once the IRS finishes processing the return it will change from accepted  to approved and then it will give a date of mailing ... so put in the change of address form with the post office so your mail gets forwarded AND  mail in the form 8822 to the IRS.
41grady

Thank you so much for your help I truly appreciate it! I will be on top of it tomorrow morning. God bless you?
Carl
Level 15

I suggest you seek legal advice, as we can't and dont' give such legal advice in this forum. Hopefully, you have all those threats in writing (such as text messages) and you don't want to delete them. A lawyer will have an absolute field day with this, and the best part is you won't be the one paying the lawyer most likely - he will.

File the form 8822 to change your address with the IRS ... but all the other possible issues will required legal council ... ask your divorce attorney for assistance getting your personal effects and information.   https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies