Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sl5420

I submitted my federal and state taxes the same day with the same payment method and both were filed and approved. The state never got my payment?

I have a massive late fee from the state but I did what I was told to do and now just want to cry.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I submitted my federal and state taxes the same day with the same payment method and both were filed and approved. The state never got my payment?

TurboTax never tells you that your return was "approved."  TT only tells you if the return was "accepted"---which is not the same thing.

What does it say on the page of filing instructions that prints with your return---what does it say you chose to do to pay your state tax due?

You must pay your state tax due using the state’s preferred method of receiving payment.  For most states that will be by making a payment to the state’s own tax website, or by mailing a check or money order.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901670-how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You give TurboTax your bank or credit card information and TurboTax gives that information to the federal and state.   You need to first check with the bank or credit card company to see if your payment was processed by them.  They are only agency who can research and let you know what happened.

You have to be very careful to print out your tax return, and read the filing instructions every year.   There are two separate filing/payment instructions, one for the IRS, and another for the state.

Many states will only take mailed checks,, or require you to pay on the state's own website, and not when you e-file with any software company's tax program.

In the years before my own state started allowing e-payments to be set up with the tax e-filing (NC), you could select the state electronic payment option as part of the filing process, but if you rushed thru the filing process too quickly, you'd miss the  detailed instructions saying you actually had to use the state's website to pay separately.....Those instructions for paying the state are also in the PDF printout (AFTER filing).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies