Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jj58
Returning Member

I submitted my 2020 tax extension request on time last night but later received a rejection notice. I'm still not sure why or how to fix this. Can this still be fixed?

The email starts by saying: "R0000-679-01 - 'PrimaryPriorYearPIN' or 'PrimaryElectronicFilingPIN' or 'PrimaryPriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

I submitted my 2020 tax extension request on time last night but later received a rejection notice. I'm still not sure why or how to fix this. Can this still be fixed?

Instead, go to Payments and when you make your payment, mark that it is for an extension. The IRS will then automatically file it for you.

You will want to determine your AGI from last year before filing your return. It will be zero if the IRS has not processed your 2019 return yet.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jj58
Returning Member

Hi Amy!  ...and thanks for your quick reply.   I've been using TurboTax for my taxes for 20 years and this is the first time I've run into this issue.  I submitted my extension last night with my payment information and it was rejected for either the wrong pin or agi.  What I don't know is whether the payment still went through and how I can still get credit for filing the extension ontime.  Am I out of luck?!

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

If your extension was rejected and never accepted, your extension did not get to the IRS so your payment information did not get to the IRS.

Your extension needs to be e-filed before midnight May 17, 2021.

• In the unlikely event of a rejection, you have until May 24, 2021 to either resubmit or mail your extension request.
  • Once your e-filed extension has been accepted, you can file your IRS return anytime before midnight, October 15, 2021.

Note: Filing an extension doesn't give you additional time to pay owed taxes, which are due May 17, 2021 (it's the same date for taxpayers out of the country). If you can't pay owed tax by the deadline, always file an extension so you can avoid the late-filing penalty, which is up to 10 times higher than the late-payment penalty.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies