turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Oneplusoneistwo
Returning Member

I started to do my taxes which I put everything in but I stopped because I want to know how come my federal tax and my state tax is not what I'm getting back

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I started to do my taxes which I put everything in but I stopped because I want to know how come my federal tax and my state tax is not what I'm getting back

Please explain more.  What do you mean it's not what you are getting back?  What are you expecting?  You don't always get all the federal and state withholding back.

Why doesn’t my refund match my W-2?

The amount you see in box 2 of your W-2 is not necessarily your tax refund.  That box shows how much was withheld from your pay.  But like many others, you have a tax liability to pay tax to the government.  So the refund you get back is the difference between how much you have to pay according to your filing status, tax bracket, number of dependents, credits and deductions, etc. and the amount that was withheld.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies